© 2019 created by Karen Farrimond

Accidents waiting to happen

This cylinder was installed by a "qualified & French registered plumber here in central Brittany" The so called "plumber" installed a new cylinder after the customers first one failed.

He was called back when water suddenly flooded through her ceiling. He removed the cylinder saying it was faulty and installed yet another. Shortly after the water flooded through her ceiling yet again. He refused to come back and sort the problem yet again, he just dissapeared, saying he didn't know what was wrong.

The "plumber" just did a runner, leaving the client well out of pocket. Some people call themselves plumbers but in actual fact don't know the first thing about it. A small amount of knowledge in the wrong hands can be a dangerous thing.
Vince was brought in via a recommendation and the problem was diagnosed correctly and safely, and a new cylinder installed again, now we have one very happy lady who has had no further problems with the cylinder, just the fact the first person kept her money.

This could have exploded litterally taking the house with it. The valves were installed incorrect and it presurised it instead of releasing.  

This boiler flue is just propped up on a few bricks, If it were to fall off due to the fact it is not fully secure, it could actually fill the house above with CO2.

Someone's going to say CO2 is heavier than air and you'd be correct.

CO2 DOES NOT RISE IN AIR, if it is at the same temperature and pressure it sinks because it is heavier than air! BUT, when cold CO2 comes in contact with air, it causes a cloud of condensation, and the resulting water vapor rich air rises because water vapor is lighter than air.

Have your boiler checked every year by a qualified and registered Heating Engineer

This is the flue to a boiler, which just goes through the wall into an old terracotta chimney. You can see the rusty looking leakage running down the wall, well this is the actual fabric of the chimney breaking down due to the acids of combustion degrading its structure. 

Not only is this litterally eating away at the fabric of the house, it doen't meet current standards and should be flue lined. 

The other point is that the vent below could allow CO2 back onto the house. CO2 DOES NOT RISE IN AIR, if it is at the same temperature and pressure it sinks because it is heavier than air! BUT, when cold CO2 comes in contact with air, it causes a cloud of condensation, and the resulting water vapor rich air rises because water vapor is lighter than air.

A log burner that has been installed with the incorrect materials, the clients were suffering headaches and nausia. This was due to the  fumes from the fire & CO2 produced from combustion, they were lucky to be alive. 

It is the law to have a proffesional fit your fire rather than finding someone that is cheap, unregistered and not insured. 

This could have been a very sad ending for this family. Please have your flue inspected by a qualified heating engineer. We have a chimney camera to inspect the liner and make sure the whole flue is intact and not rotting.

           Be safe, no sorry,

           A life is priceless.

Log burning stove, incorrectly fitted, sooted up in a matter of weeks, the fire wouldn't combust properly and everytime the door was opened the fumes & smoke entered the kitchen.

The customer paid €2,500 for the install from a professional company. We wrote a report disussing the way it had been done. The company did actually remove the flue completely and installed a new double skinned external flue and the customer no longer has issues with it.